Located in Summit County, Colorado, USA; Breckenridge has been a well sought out location for skiers since the first ski trails were founded in 1961. As such it attracts enthusiasts who like hiking, fishing in the blue river, mountain biking, whitewater rafting and boating in the nearby Lake Dillon. Also, there are many vacations homes in the area as well as in Breckenridge cabins for rent that can be easily found. But there’s a lot more to be done at Breckenridge as well:
- Saloon Tour: The Welcome Center offers a 90 min saloon tour on Fridays which includes distillery tasting. You must be 21 years of age to take part in that historic tour.
- Sleigh Rides: The name probably brings in mind Christmas but while there’s no Santa here, there are several sleigh ride offerings by the Breck Sleigh Rides, Nordic sleigh rides or the Two Below Zero Sleigh Rides on evenings which you can enjoy with family. Daytime tour options are also available.
- Ice Skating: Over on the Stephen C. West ice arena you will be able to experience year-round ice skating, hockey sessions, as well as public skating, are offered up daily generally. If you want to go for outdoor skating then the outdoor pond over at the Gold Run Nordic Center would work well.
- Breckenridge Gold Runner Alpine Coaster: These 2,500 feet of roller coaster track twists and dips along the mountain and through the forest are open all year long. Take notes that during winter the 2 seater coaster cars will allow passengers for a daily run from 11 am to 4 pm but everything still depends on the snow removal as well as on the weather. So the timings are subject to change.
- Gold Mine Tours: In this tour, you will be able to know about the gold rush history. You will also be able to experience what it was like trying to find that gold, so elusive and priceless. These tours are perfect for families and groups. Of course, these tours are mostly closed in the winter months but are perfect for those summer afternoons.
- Summit Ski Museum: Here they show the first 100 years of skiing in the summit county since Breckenridge is popularly known as the first ski town in Colorado. The timings are from Tuesday to Sunday from 11 am to 3 pm. But make sure to inquire about the timings before going.
- Snowmobiling: This is a really great way to take in the mountain and its white powdery goodness which will not involve a lot of strenuous physical activity. Good Times Adventures, Breckenridge Snowmobiling, and Nova Guides offer snowmobile facilities.
- Breckenridge Brewery: Going to the capital for craft breweries and not visiting one of the best seems to be a shame especially since at the Breckenridge Brewery you will also hear about how the small brewpub became one of the most successful craft beer and restaurant companies in the country. Pro tip: if you visit then make sure to order a sample so that you can get to taste everything.
- The Backstage Theater: This nonprofit local company puts up multiple communities shows the year round. Show timings are mostly in the evenings and the ticket prices can range from $20-$40, but you will get to experience a great show for sure.
- TenMile Flyer Zip Line: This two-stage zip line spans 392 feet in its first run. As for the second stage- it stretches to a whopping 1095 feet. But the whole time you will be reaching speeds of 45 miles an hour while dangling 50 feet into the air. If this gave you an adrenaline rush then you need to pack your bags off to Breckenridge.
- Kayak Tours and Rafting: Kayak tours are offered in a lot of places, like by the Colorado River Rentals etc. around the town where you will be able to rent those one or two-person boats and then go careening down the blue river. But if you don’t like that much of adventure then perhaps the placid lake Dillon will be more up to your speed. Group river rafting is also possible here where you will experience the exhilaration and thrill of a lifetime.
- Fun Park: Open only during the summer festival, this fun park does as it says and hosts activities like downhill sliding, bike riding, and a roller coaster as well, which will get you winding down on a 2500 feet long track. But that’s still no match for the 2600 foot long Alpine Super Slide where you will go zipping down the mountain while experiencing the picturesque valley located below. Along with this, there is also the guided hike. There’s a lot do so perhaps reserving a couple of days for this alone will be beneficial.
Known for its adventure junkie rides and thrills, one could never hope to casually know about all the things about Breckenridge mentioned above. But it’s a winter wonderland of hidden pleasures, which will show you its gifts after a bit of exploring. So, make sure to spend a few days here to experience the best of Breckenridge.